Tuesday, March 1, 2011

U2 pay tribute to The Dubliners 1987

I've always admired U2's ambition as a band throughout their career and would still rate them as one of my all time favourites. I think that the 80's were their greatest period, especially with the release of 'The Joshua Tree' album. In 1987, the biggest TV programme in Ireland 'The Late Late Show' did a tribute to folk group The Dubliners. I remember vividly watching this at home on the night and I can hardly believe that it is 24 years ago. Stockton's Wing, Christy Moore, The Pogues and U2 all contributed performances but this is the one that stood out for me.
U2 were about to head off to the US to tour the 'Joshua Tree' album and it was good timing that they were on the show. They chose the Ewan McColl, Peggy Seeger  penned song 'Springhill Mining Disaster' as it was a favourite of  Luke Kelly's who recorded it years previous...

4 comments:

Joseph Hamilton said...

What happened to that great band? And that is coming from a fan since "Boy"

Unknown said...

I agree Joseph, I love everything they did up to Achtung Baby. They were incredible up to then..I still have a huge respect but they have lost that fire. Mind you for such a long career they never sold their souls either like other bands have.

Eoin Kelly said...

Good stuff Seamus, hadn't seen that before - gave me chills.

Anonymous said...

Its an really powerful song...