Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dirty Three

One of my favourite live bands of all time has to be the Australian group  Dirty Three.  Formed in Melbourne in 1993, front man Warren Ellis plays violin, Mick Turner plays lead guitar and Jim White is the drummer. Until 1998 I knew nothing about this band whatsoever except for a rave review of a previous Dublin gig in Hot Press magazine.
I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the Liss Ard Music festival in West Cork of that year. Among the headliners that year were Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, John Martyn, Lou Reed, Spiritualised and lots more.
Among the varied bill were Dirty Three, I have to admit I was enthusiastic to see and hear them after reading the Hot Press piece, but nothing prepared me for the energy that I was about to witness onstage from this three piece.
I have seen them live at least six times since then and I would advise anyone, if they ever play a gig near you to check them out. you are in for a very noisy treat...

2 comments:

Tillerosa said...

Hey sweets! Fantastic blog! I'm very much looking forward to many great tips from you - mainstream or not doesn't matter as I'm regressing musicwise. I listen to the radio for exactly 7 + 7 minutes each day (running the brats to and from daycare). And during work it's mellow jazz och classical music on Spotify, but with the volume so low I can hardly distinguish the two from eachother.

Unknown said...

Thanks Helena, I think you'd really like Dirty Three especially the album Ocean Songs, its an instrumental beaut, very laid back and relaxing to listen to, just what the doctor would order;)))